Sunday, May 9, 2010

wind wind go away!

Yesterday was the Squidfire Spring Art Mart, and as much as I enjoyed the idea of another event it turned out to be a constant struggle all day. The struggle was a mutual feeling by all the booth vendors at the event. Starting at 9am and continuing until we left at 6pm we were feeling the blows of 40 mile an hour wind and the terrible economy.
(This was the "pose of the day" shot. Note: all the vendors are holding down a corner of their tent. (ps. pictures of me not standing in front of the merchandise will be coming soon.))

I did not do as well as I had hoped, but, as I keep looking at these events, it was a learning experience. And boy was it! Taking notes during the event I figured a few key things that are pertinent to being successful in the world of arts and craft. You would have thought that I would have had this all figured out in the December Holiday Art Mart, but I think I was too blind struck by being apart of the event that I didn't take in as much as I should have. Although someone who is just starting out in arts and craft business it is difficult to understand the ins and outs of the world. One booth vender that I spoke to it was their second season traveling in craft shows, and they were even telling me that they are still learning new things about the craft of selling. Of course Jean-Baptiste and Kevin have their craft to sell down, but they are even learning new ways to approach the art of selling. In this field of work I think I will constantly be learning new ways to approach the craft, art and selling.
I am very thankful that I was able to be apart of their event again. Even if it meant that my tent was lifted by the wind and was carried about three feet over, and had to stay on guard holding things down all day. I love them boys and I can only say sorry to all the vendors whom either had merchandise broken by the wind or had their tents broken by the wind. It is things like that that hurt more then not being able to sell anything.
(one story I must share about the wind though, and then back to importance) The ladies next to me had flimsy tent that they were using, and with the first good gust of wind it broke the one leg to the tent. Understanding this we decided it would be best if we tided each others tents together for extra support. I had gone out and gotten waits for my legs so all seemed to be well. Until around 2pm... when a gust of wind came and lifted all four of their legs off the ground starting to lift mine with theirs. I quickly grabbed the nearest leg that I could and the booth vendors around swarmed to help in point some seconds. That gust had mangled and tangled so bad that they had to take it down by breaking the rest of the tent to get it out of sight. About an hour later the vendor behind me had the same thing happen to her tent, just this time not that many were as quick on their feet. I was the first to see it be picked up, so I acted quickly upon the situation as others would follow suit. Sadly her merchandise were breakables and one of the legs form her tent hit it just so that half her merchandise broke. After that she took her everything down and went home. So here I must say thanks to those who were fast on their feet to help out fellow vendors, and here is to hopefully a better season.
All in all though I give props to Jean-Baptiste for picking such a fine selection of vendors. To put on such an event is difficult when the cards don't seem to go your way. Sorry that the weather turned out the way it did! Somethings one just cannot help.

And thank you again Squidfire boys for seeing potential in me and my work that you allow me to be apart yet another event! It means a lot to know that someone has faith in ones dream that they will help you as much they can to make sure the dream gets fulfilled. I hope we can experience more craft shows together in the future. As always love you boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment