Wednesday, September 1, 2010

See With Your Eyes

Haystack showed me so much while being there and by not being there.
Those who follow may recall my recent trip to Maine to attend a two week art course at Haystack Mountain School of Craft. Before my arrival I knew there was more for me to learn then simple rope making and plating. Sure enough Haystack proved me right. I learned so much about myself and what I want to do while being secrete for two weeks.

One that couldn't hit me any harder over the head was "Mallory, your a perfect match to be a teacher!" Those whom I had only known for 24 hours were asking me if I plan on becoming a teacher after graduating. Once the class saw my potential they really pursued the question, as did I. I told them of the pondering thought in my head, and for the rest of the two weeks they insisted on me pursuing the idea. It was really nice of them. I miss that boost of encouragement. I miss that feeling of "I have taught someone SOMETHING valuable!" Though this feeling wont be lost for long, because I am a teachers assistant come Friday!!!

Haystack also broaden my horizon to the art world. All I knew before was the art world of NYC, Baltimore and those who's names have become "famous." I now have contacts and connections with those in Chicago, New Mexico, California, Canada and France to name just a few. All of which are amazing people to have met and now call my dearest friends.

On the work end of Haystack I am able to see new possibilities (ways to create the work and ways to look at work). It was good to have a new set of hands to teach me and a new set of eyes to see my work. It has fueled me to continue with my body of work and to pursue getting the work shown.

I am so lucky to have attended Haystack and to have been apart of its history.
*More will be posted later... but at the moment I am on the outs of my Internet connection.
come back for more about Haystack

No comments:

Post a Comment